Constituent Services


​Frequently Asked Questions

What does the Department of Disabilities do?​

The Maryland Department of Disabilities (MDOD) is charged with unifying​ and improving the delivery of services to people with disabilities by working collaboratively with all state government agencies​.​

How do I apply for Social Security or check on the status of an application?

​You can apply for Social Security Disability benefits online at, by visiting your local Social Security office, or by contacting 1-800-772-1213.  Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7am to 7pm.​

Where can I get a disability parking hang tag?

  • Request an application for “Maryland Parking Placards/License Plates for Individuals with a Disability” – form number VR-210 – by calling the MVA at any of the numbers listed below, visiting your local MVA full-service and express office (for placards only) location, or downloading it from the MVA web site.
  • Complete all applicable sections of the form. Be sure to identify whether you are applying for a placard by checking the appropriate box at the top. The individual with the disability must sign and date the application. If requesting a plate, complete Section D of the application. A disability plate may only be issued to vehicle(s) titled in the name of the individual with a disability or to a vehicle that has been leased to an individual with a disability.
  • Have your doctor complete the Disability Certification Information section of the application. This section does not have to be completed if you are self-certifying. A physician may fax the completed document directly to the Maryland MVA for a disability placard to be mailed or handed to a customer.
  • Mail the completed form along with the appropriate fees (do not mail cash) to the MVA, Disability Unit, Room 202, 6601 Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie, Maryland, 21062 or visit your local MVA office (except Oakland) to receive your placard in person. If you are requesting the placard to be mailed, your doctor’s office may fax your certified application to 410 787-7840.  Please note that an MVA office will accept a fax of the certified doctor’s application if it is faxed directly to a Motor Vehicle Administration office but may not accept a photocopy or faxed copy of a certified application if faxed to the individual and not the MVA.
    Please Note:
    • Only full service MVA office locations issue disability plates.  

Who can I contact if I feel I have been discriminated against because of my disability​?

​The Maryland Commission on Civil Rights is an independent agency that serves individuals, businesses, and communities throughout the State.  Its mandate is to protect against discrimination based on race, color, religion or creed, sex, age, ancestry or national origin, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.  In employment cases, discrimination based on genetic information is prohibited. In housing cases, discrimination based on familial status is also unlawful.  If you feel that you have been discriminated against, contact the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights at 1-800-637-6247;410-333-1737(tty).​

Where can I get help with accessible modifications to my vehicle?

​​​You an contact the Division of Rehabilitation​ Services for information on vehicle modifications such as hand controls and wheelchair accessible features.

How do I get assistance with finding and renting a home?

​​​​The Rental Allowance Program (RAP) provides monthly rent assistance for low income families who are homeless or have an emergency housing need.  The monthly payments are fixed amounts, depending upon the size of the family and the location of the rental housing unit in the State.  Payments can be received for up to 12 months, and may be extended under special circumstances.  For a fact sheet and list of Local Administering Agencies visit the RAP website​

What is assistive technology and how can it help me?

The Maryland Technology Assistance Program has an Equipment Demonstration & Loan Program that allows people with disabilities, their families, and professionals to observe and try out devices.  The Equipment Loan Program lets you borrow equipment before deciding on what to purchase, to fill in when adaptive equipment is in the shop for repairs, or when waiting for delivery of ordered equipment.  Items are generally on loan for 1 to 4 weeks, depending on the demand for the particular item.  There is no fee to borrow this equipment.  For a complete listing of items available or to speak with an assistive technology specialist concerning the availability of assistive technology equipment! Or visit MDTAP's online inventory to see what we currently house in our library.​